Sunday, August 31, 2008

New toy

Tomorrow I am taking these babies on their maiden voyage.


My Giant Anthem came with the Race Face predecessor to these cranks and I have had nothing but problems from them. They kept loosening up and therefore wobbling in the bottom bracket. Summit Cycles would work on them under warranty and add spacers to correct the extra play. And we would all scratch our heads wondering how they loosen up because the crank bolt tightens till it bottoms out. Once it is tight you cant tighten it any more, but it would still be loose. That would work for a while then they would loosen up again. Finally, the extra play damaged the BB and I had to replace that on my own dime since it was several months out of warranty. Went with a Shimano XT BB thinking the play was in the BB. Eventually the play returned.

I called Race Face and they agreed to send me a new one even though I had 2 years and probably 1500 miles on the bike. They said the predecessor was experiencing a problem where the internal shaft that is pressed into the drive side crank was pulling itself out over time. This solved the mystery of how they were loosening.

Looking forward to not worrying if they will loosen again and not scaring the wildlife away with the old noisy ones.

No comments: