Thursday, June 12, 2008

Cowbell Challenge

I sent in the registration fee for the 6-hour solo class for the Cowbell Challenge. I have no idea what the course will be like and have no idea what to expect. I think I can safely predict some hot and muggy conditions since the race will be from 10:00 to 2:00. Anybody have any recommendations for nutrition/hydration for 6 hours in these conditions? I need some ideas on cramping also which is something I have struggled with on anything longer than 3 hours.

Edit: I tweeked a quad muscle this weekend while horsing around with the kids and Mr. Mike. Anna Leigh (my ten year old) and some of her friends challenged me and Mr. Mike to a 40-ish yard dash. I barely beat out the kids, but wasn't much for Mr. Mike who beat me by several lengths. So we lined it up a second time. I didn't want to give in to defeat so I wasn't going to play around this time. Got a great start out off the blocks and then 20 yards into the sprint I feel POP-POP-BURN in my upper thigh area. Yikes-that really hurts! Limped across the finish line to see how I did against Mr. Mike. He was still at the starting line chatting with the wives. What? Decided to quit while ahead I guess! Today I have a swollen thigh and decent amount of pain. Looks like I'll be riding the Cowbell with injury, but hey whats new.

7 comments:

Jason said...

First off, nice to meet you last night. As for hydration recommendations... is an IV in the on site ambulance off the list? Maybe even oxygen? Those would be on the top of my personal list for a six hour race in the middle of June.

Would you be interested in hooking up with Monty and I for a Lexington based assault on Harbison? 40-50 miles total, 4 hours. Could be a nice endurance builder for your Cowbell :)

Tom said...

Yes...although I am camping this friday-sunday. When were you looking at assaulting lexington?

Jason said...

I was thinking this Sat, but a camping trip sounds more fun than a Harbison ride :) Maybe we should aim for the 28th? That's post cowbell, but it could still be a fun ride.

jpelton said...

Tom,
When I do any type of long riding having a food, drink schedule is critical. On a ride like the cowbell I would recommend picking up some Endurolites (Paul carries them). Pop 2 before the ride and 1-2 every hour. This is a must and should not be missed. 2nd - make sure you are drinking about 1 bottle an hour. I do not think that heed or gatorade is as important with the endurolites, plus you can pour water on yourself to cool down. Gatorade does not work so well for that. 3rd - one shot of the gel flask every 45 min to hour. If you do that you should be good. If you start to feel bad pull the Red Bull parachute and keep on going.

Good luck.

Tom said...

Thanks Joe, I will try that! no milk? Sorry...couldn't resist.

Jason, I'll see what i can do for the 28th.

hammernails said...

Narture's own recovery drink Mom's Milk, yum yum! LOL!

jpelton said...

Don't knock it until you try it.
I recommend chilled though. 98.6 deg. is not nearly as tasty, but a lot more fun drinking.