Sunday, June 22, 2008

Cowbell '08 Race Report

First, not that I have any experience with these events, but I recommed this event to anyone interested in trying an endurance event.

I ended up with 6 laps ~43miles. 4:30 ride time. Good enough for 13th place among 21 or so 6 hour solo riders. The course was fun. The first 2 miles was along the woodline of old pasture fields...occasionally ducking into the woods, mixed descending and climbing. The next three miles were tight single track in the woods with a lot of features thrown in. Skinnies, log piles, elevated ramps, and the "big root". The big root was a 5 foot deep whoopdy-doo with a elevated root at the exit, then a hard right turn around a tree. With momentum, no problem, but this and other tricks led to a lot of people standing around near the tricks, afraid to attempt them and causing everyone behind them to dismount and walk the trick. After about two laps, the traffic thinned out and I cleared all the tricks with not too much trouble. The last two or so miles was flat woodline pasture edge single track and then finish with a nasty climb back to the start finish line.

Regrets: Not doing a seventh lap. I was at the start/finish line with ten minutes to go before the last lap cut off. I was completely gassed but I could have done one more and picked up a few positions. I saw Eric chilling out in the pit and talked myself into joining him. Come to find out, he had a real excuse for stopping early. I had no excuse.

Lesson #1...never quit early, finish all laps that you can.
Lesson #2...figure out nutrition/hydration. First three laps, I was in great shape. Laps 3-6, no energy whatsoever. I was going on pure will only. No legs, no lungs, nothing.
Lesson #3...train more for endurance. I need to get my ride times up above three hours on a consistent basis.

Congrats to Dennis picking up the 7th spot with seven laps and a flat.
Congrats to Eric for doing this race after a surgery on his wrist and being off the bike for a while.
Congrats to Becky for podium 3rd place spot for solo 6 hour female.

No comments: