Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tires

When I started riding mtbs in ’02, I bought a $900 Raleigh Hardtail from Harrell’s. It had wtb motoraptors on it and they weigh probably 700g. I think they were 26x2.1’s. I rode the snot out of those tires, putting probably 2000 miles on them and they are still ridable today. They seemed to hook up fairly well (I rode slower back then) and the durability was impressive. These tires are heavy and durable.

Then I bought the Giant that I currently ride. It came with 500g Hutchinson pythons 2.0s on the front and rear, a tire meant for dry hardpack xc race conditions. They are fast rolling, low resistance. I busted my tail about 3 times right off the bat on the leaves and needles of our area before I realized the front would not hook up at local trails like harbison. So I slowed down and adjusted how I entered turns. Because of this, I have developed a bad habit of not leaning my bike into turns, rather leaning my body instead. One day while riding at harbison, a ½” diameter pine branch punctured the tire and tube on the rear. This ruined the tire so I used it as an opportunity to get a more aggressive tread on the front.

I ended up with a Continental Explorer 2.1 on the front and a Hutchinson Python 2.0 on the rear. This proved to be a nice combination for me considering how and where I ride. I need to replace both tires now and I’d like to lose some grams and gain speed, but need something that hooks up well around here. Dennis loaned me some used Continental Mountain King 2.2’s. I rode them last night and thought they hooked up well at first. They are also light and accelerate well. But according to Dennis you have to run 40 psi or they’ll pinch flat. I was running 32 psi so we bumped them to 40 psi. They no longer hooked up at 40 psi. I have personally watched Dennis go through 5 tubes with these tires so I am not very confident in the 2.2 size with 40 psi.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I might go back to the Continental Explorer 2.1 on the front and a python 2.0 on the rear, but would like to improve on that as well.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Stay away from the Kenda Excavators @630g, they hook up great but boy do you feel the drag. Im currently running that for the winter on my rear and a specialized Fastrak Control 2.2 in the front. The 2.2 has taller knobs than the 2.0 and seems to strike a good balance with traction vs rolling resistance. Once things seem to start staying dry again I'll be switching back to the Low knob 2.0's probably front and rear. While I dont have the experience of testing alot of different tires those Fasttraks seem to roll very good and even with the Low Knobs there predictable and I dont mind giving up some of the traction for such a noticible gain in rolling resistance.

spokejunky said...

I used to use Python's exclusively on the rear, but Hutch tends to have thin sidewalls and get flats easily. If it was muddy I'd use Panracer Fire XC, but if not then Python for the rear and Scorpion up front. The best thing for pinch flats is to go with Stan's notubes setup. That way you have a choice. Start with tubeless and if you ever have a big enough crater gash in the tire or you burp it, then you have a backup plan with the tube.