Saturday, December 6, 2008

Carolina Adventure World, Winnsboro.

Exit 46 on I-77. Jim and I rode it Saturday am. I think they have a good start to a fun trail system. It is spanking new so the clay is soupy in a lot of places but the clay is also similar to FATS clay so theres will be times when it dries out and will allow you to rail. There are some banked turns, woop-de-doos, and switchbacks. There is currently a lot of deadfall and tree litter which I don’t mind too much except, sure enough, a stick hopped up into my derailleur and almost ripped it off. So my bike would not stay in gear for the rest of the ride.

You start out at the main parking lot and enter the trail by the ATV gatehouse. You then go down some twisty stuff and begin a climb to “Top of the World”, a helipad…that’s right a helipad. I would say that climb is around 200’ elevation gain, but I am no Garmin. This reminded me of the airstrip climb at Dupont, but for just a second. This climb gets the legs burning nicely and then you descend into some flowy and technical stuff along ridges and creek bottoms.

http://www.carolinaadventureworld.net/images/CAWBikeTrailmap.jpg
Our first loop we did: a>A>C>A>B>A>E>D>E>A>a. Look at the map and it will make sense. It is directional so this is the full loop and is about 11 miles. C and D were almost un-ride-able so on our second loop we left them out and the trail felt a lot like FATS or a Lost Creek with a lot more climbing.

$5 per day or $40.00 per year. I think $40 is too high but it is what it is. There are some nice employees out there who really want the trails to succeed and they said they just need to get ridden. I agree with that.

1 comment:

Jim said...

That ride was a good one, still lingering fresh in the mind and cant wait to get out there again. Definately a nice mix up from the what we have been getting acustomed to around here at Harbison. No doubt about it, that helipad climb will get the blood flowing nicely and I see it as good incentive to get us out there another cold morning,, soon.